Syd Barrett & Pink Floyd
The Laughing Madcaps Facebook Group

Monday, February 8, 2010

Syd Barrett Stars - Everything (So Far)

Syd Barrett Stars

It’s so long ago now and the actual details are intermeshed with four decades of rumor & fiction into an, oh-so-slow, shifting tapestry of the cumulative memories of those who were there and those who wish they were. Below is what I could collect about Stars.

Stars were Syd Barrett’s final band (1972). Its members were Syd Barrett on guitar, Twink on drums, and Jack Monck (of Delivery) on bass. They played a few live concerts in Cambridge before Barrett left the group, thus (essentially) ending it. Shortly thereafter Syd Barrett left music altogether and began a life in seclusion, and his work with Stars is sometimes seen as the so called “straw that broke the camel's back”.

(Syd Barrett, Jack Monck, and Twink)

Pre Stars: 1-26-72, King's College Cellars -- Barrett, Monck and Twink play a short set (also: Eddie "Guitar" Burns)
1-27-72, Corn Exchange, Cambridge, England -- Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band (also: Hawkwind, Pink Fairies)

2-5-72 the Dandelion Coffee Bar, Cambridge, England
2-?-72, Petty Cury (near Market Square) -- Stars
2-?-72, the Dandelion Coffee Bar, Cambridge, England
2-24-72, Cambridge Corn Exchange, Cambridge, England (also: MC5 / Skin Alley)
2-26-72, Cambridge Corn Exchange, Cambridge, England (also: Nektar)

Post Stars: 1973, unidentified location, Cambridge -- Syd performs with Jack Bruce
(also: Pete Brown poetry reading.)

Drummer - Twink, then with the psychedelic band Tomorrow, met Barrett in '67 when Pink Floyd played a European festival. The band brought gifts with them; Twink's, from Syd, was a hash pipe. Though they remained friendly afterwards, it wasn't until 1972 that they got together musically. "I didn't know him closely for that long," but I was in the same space and I could understand exactly where he was at. I thought he was very together, you know. As a friend it was a very warm relationship; no bad vibes at all. We didn't have any crazy scenes."

Stars was originally brought together by bass player Jack Monk's wife Ginny, who took Barrett down to a Cambridge pub to jam with Twink and some others. A few days later a more permanent arrangement coalesced, and Stars began rehearsing for their first gig, an open air May Day celebration in Market Square. Their material, mostly Syd's, included some for the Pink Floyd days; Barrett recorded practice sessions and one coffee bar gig, and seemed genuinely interested in working again when a promoter friend of Twink's booked Stars into the Corn Exchange.

At that gig everything that could possibly go wrong did: the PA sabotaged Syd's vocals, Monk's amp acted up and somehow Barrett cut his finger open. Added to Syd's memory blanks and hesitant playing, the result was bad press and immediate depression for Syd.

“We just weren't ready for it,” Twink concedes. "It was a disastrous gig, the reviews were really bad, and Syd was really hung up about it; so the band folded. He came 'round to my house and said he didn't want to play anymore. He didn't explain; he just left. I was really amazed working with him, at his actual ability as a guitar player."

Recordings and photographs of their performances remain lost, though it has been attested that the Stars performances contained songs like "Baby Lemonade" and "Effervescing Elephant" from the solo LPs, plus "Lucifer Sam" and a couple of 12-bar blues. It is widely believed that many rehearsals and performances were taped. Twink stated in an interview that a relative of the composer Leonard Bernstein recorded some of the concerts.

Below are some recollections by two people, in-the-know, about possible pre-Stars and Stars recordings:

Hawkwind, Last Minute Put-Together Boogie Band (Pre Stars) & Pink Fairies Live at Cambridge, Corn Exchange 1/27/72

From: Mike Kemp, Engineer:

“The recording of the concert was organised at the last minute and the equipment was poor as all that was available was a rather poor mixer so we just stuck a stereo mic pair across the stage for drums/backline and mixed in some PA mix for front. We were positioned on the top of a sort of cloakroom arrangement in a corner near the stage (in about an inch of thick dust) but had a bad view of the stage from the equipment area due to columns in the building. I spent most of my time with headphones at the troublesome mixer so saw little.

The whole affair was a shambles with a fight breaking out around the stage at one point destroying at least one of the mics. I was pretty naive at the time and can not say I saw Syd Barrett but everyone was saying he was there. There were a number of rambling untogether acts and I am pretty convinced that the Syd Barrett All Stars was mentioned at the time, as well as "The last minute put together boogie band".

Recording was onto a 1/4track Revox at 7&1/2 ips (all we had then) and I do recall listening to it after the gig over the next months. Because we changed all our recording equipment quickly to 1/2track (standard professional format) the old 1/4 track tapes couldn't then be listened to. I recall vaguely that it existed for some time but later attempts to find it failed, e.g. when Robyn Hitchcock spent a day (around 1980) checking all the tapes in our library at Victoria Street.

It is possible that the tape was placed with a whole collection of 1/4 track tapes that Gary Lucas had at the time (it was his Revox) and I am trying to find out if he has any knowledge of these. I've lost touch with him in the last few years since he moved away from Cambridge but I think I can track him down again.”
Here's Syd's introduction from that gig:
A question about the Corn Exchange gig was forwarded to Mark Graham, Spaceward Studio Manager in 1985-86. Below is his reply:

Hi Jeff,

I think it was during the Summer of 1985 when we were clearing out the space above the Control Room roof that I came across the Syd Barrett All Stars tape. It was just one among hundreds that were languishing there, pretty much forgotten that Owen Morris and I were sorting through - our task was to phone the bands or record labels concerned and get them either to collect their tapes or allow us to wipe them.

I admit that it was with a trembling hand that I descended the ladder clutching the tape and then threaded it on the Revox. We listened to it once, all the way through, and, though it pains me to say so, it was an absolute load of old shite.

It was awful. Truly. The sound itself was poor and the onstage tuning was non-existent. It was painful to listen to. Stoned, out-of-key noodlings - remarkable only for how dreadful it was. If I remember correctly parts of the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind sets were also on the tape.

What my response would have been had the recording been brilliant, or even good, of course we'll never know (might I have stolen a copy?) but it was clear to me that this could only ever be of historical (or forensic) interest - you'd NEVER want to actually listen to it - so, not having Syd's phone number to hand, I rang EMI.

The very next day a big car swished into the yard and out stepped a suit. I don't remember the gentleman's name - only his suit. He was from EMI and he'd come to listen to the Syd Barrett tape. I explained the history to him, made him coffee and then played him the tape.

He said nothing until the end.

"This recording can add nothing to Syd's legend - it can only detract from it. It must never be made public".

He took the tape away in his big car and, as far as I know, no copies exist.

So the master was taken away by the EMI suit; a copy was kept by a Spaceward employee (or it may be the other way round) and has since been rediscovered. It is known that Silver Machine (not featuring Syd) from Hawkwind's set, and a bit of an instrumental jam from the Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band's set, on which a bit of bluesy noodling from Syd does appear to be audible are on that tape.

Supposedly, some Stars gigs were recorded and, in the Laughing Madcaps group (May, 2000), the following was posted by Joly (Stars Roadie and occasional Bass):

Kiloh Smith wrote:
"I’ve heard that Stars recorded many of their practice sessions and that the ill-fated Cambridge Corn Exchange gig might have been recorded?"

Joly wrote:
"Stars played a number of times at a hippie-community cafe called ‘The Dandelion’ and then one Saturday in the outdoor in the main square in Cambridge and then two shows at the (huge, cavernous) Corn Exchange on a Thursday (with Nektar) and Saturday, two days later, with the MC5.

Nektar, being prog, had state of the art audio—two WEM Audiomasters out front and monitors. I mixed the band. Another roadie was Nigel, who took care of the stage. I think it was a friend of his that taped the show. I was lent the tape by Nigel some months later and it sounded good; I gave it back without copying. I later heard he lost it. I believe that. If it were around, it would have surfaced by now.

The MC5 show was not recorded and was not a good show, mainly due to their being zero monitors—just a big PA amp with one volume knob (the MC5 naturally kept it up all the way) backstage, plus Nigel spread the band too far apart onstage. I was reduced to running back and forwards from front stage to back trying to judge if there was feedback. Syd battled thru but any man would have had problems. The team chalked it up as a good try. You can’t win them all.

The promoter of these shows—Steve Brink—had promised that there would be no press; however he did invite a guy from the Melody Maker, Roy Hollingworth, who had some sort of nervous breakdown at the show (he later ended up in the bin). He wrote a piece that came out the next Wednesday detailing a wave of absolute alienation he sensed at the show, and used Syd as a metaphor for it.

Syd read that piece, was upset, and resigned from the band. I’ve never heard of him playing live since.

There was an eccentric character called Victor who followed the band around. Usually accompanied by his pre-teen son, Victor was a bearded American somewhat reminiscent of Peter Ustinov, always dressed in tweed suits. He was apparently a nephew of Leonard Bernstein, and once took Twink to one of his uncle’s gigs (The Royal Albert Hall). Another time he brought Aaron Copeland to one of the weekly jam sessions in Cambridge. Victor attended most if not all Stars appearances and he always carried a Nagra in his bag. He taped everything. I suspect that those tapes might exist, because his family is more sensitive to the value of archived music than most.

When Syd first started playing with the band I had no idea who he was—I used to sleep over the rehearsal room and Syd would come over early when I was still abed. I listened for a couple of days, and I remember hearing him on the first day and thinking “this doesn’t make sense” and then on the second day “now I am beginning to get it” and by the third “I like it.” I’d asked Twink his name. “Oh that’s, um, Syd,” had said Twink without elaboration.

Syd was no more peculiar than a lot of people around, used to enjoy a cup of tea after the session. You had to be on your mental toes to keep up with odd tangents he would hit in conversation, and this served to make one aware of the regimented mundanity of one’s normal musings.

It was a shame the band didn’t continue. Jack Monck is a great musician in his own right. He and Twink were playing easy skiffle-jazz rhythms and giving Syd lots of room to play."

Other possible recordings of Stars are:

1) Nektar gig at the Corn Exchange. Joly, who worked with Stars, insists that the second Corn Exchange gig as support to Nektar was much better than the previous MC5 gig (as reviewed in Melody Maker by Roy Hollingworth to Syd's exasperation, signaling the end of the venture). Being prog state of the art instrumentalists, Nektar had a great sound system and mixing desk. Joly believes the Stars set was taped.

This is corroborated by Twink and Alan Lee Shaw. Twink says he heard the tape at the time and thought it was OK; Shaw says he has a mental image of the guy sitting by the side of the stage with his reel to reel machine. No one knows the whereabouts of the man or the tape.

2) Stars in the Petty Cury marketplace. Rumoured audience recording. Rumour went cold quickly.

3) Various rehearsals in Syd's cellar and at the Dandelion Cafe. Supposedly taped by Syd himself (among the box of tapes lost by a Chelsea Cloisters employee?) and more professionally by a relative of Leonard Bernstein!

4) Rehearsals taped at home by Syd. Clearly we're not going to hear these.

5) Dandelion Cafe performances taped by Victor Kraft, a former lover of Aaron Copland and friend (not relative) of Bernstein. Kraft, who died in 1976, was also a professional photographer and as such I suspect he may have taken pictures of the Stars performances.

Pictures of Stars definitely exist somewhere. Not only is it an absurd notion that nobody took a photograph of Syd Barrett, a well-known public figure, between 1972 and 1974, but I know of three sets of photos that were definitely taken. These are:

1. A set of pictures of Stars playing an outdoor gig in Cambridge Market Square in February (?) 1972, taken by an unknown Australian photographer. These were briefly circulated shortly after the performance and both Twink and Jack Monck (independently) remember them being excellent quality.

2. Pictures taken by the American photographer Victor Kraft. Victor Kraft was a professional photographer who had previously worked with Leonard Bernstein and Aaron Copland before settling in Cambridge in the early 1970s. He attended most of Stars' performances, and would have taken photographs and made tape recordings of the band. Unfortunately, he died in 1976 and his wife said that any possessions that were left in his Cambridge flat were taken (with her permission) by his landlords. Whether these include the Stars material, and what became of it if so, is unknown.

3. Pictures of the Market Square gig taken by Cambridge Evening News (and no, the paper doesn't have them). One picture of the band onstage (minus Syd, who was just out of shot) was published at the time, but more must have been taken.

Articles / Interviews about Stars:

STARS: Syd's Final Performance , Terrapin magazine, January 1973

STARS: At Cambridge, SYD CAME ON, PLAYED HIS SONGS AND THEN LEFT. I could end there, but as it was Syd's first stage appearance for four years, detail becomes sacred necessity. He did versions of 'Octopus' and 'No Man's Land from the Madcap album: 'Waving my arms in the Air' and 'Baby Lemonade' from Barrett: and 'Lucifer Sam' from the legendary first Floyd album.

Twink played drums and Jack Monke played bass until his amp decided it couldn't cope with Syd's musical journey and went dead! The lyrics were, for the most part, inaudible due to the terrible P.A., and Syd did no talking between the numbers, which were sadly under- rehearsed. But that was a genius on stage and he did show odd flashes of brilliance, but after about an hour Syd decided he had had enough, so he slowly unplugged and went home.

Personally I think the band set Syd back considerably. I understand he was pushed into it at very short notice and this was reflected in the music. If Syd is going to do anything worthwhile it must be done when he is ready: and if we have too wait five years for an album as good as "The Madcap Laughs" it will be worth it. Underneath all the mystique bullshit there is an ordinary young English musician who bleeds real blood when he cuts his finger during the final number, and smiles a really warm smile when you thank him afterwards. As he said in the Rolling Stone interview, "You know man, I'm totally together. I even think I should be."

Ivor Trueman discussed Stars with Twink – extracted from Opel #11, 5 December 1985:

Ivor Trueman: After the Pink Fairies you next played in Stars. How did that all happen?
Twink: I was living in Cambridge; after I'd left the Pink Fairies I went back to London for a while & then moved to Cambridge. And while in Cambridge I met Jack Monck & some local musicians, though we didn't do anything serious.

Ivor Trueman: You hadn't known Jack Monck before then?

Twink: No. I met him through Jenny, Jenny Spires who was an ex-girlfriend of mine, and she was also an ex-girlfriend of Syd's. It was Jenny & Jack who brought Syd down to the Eddie Guitar Burns gig at Kings College Cellar. And Syd had a jam that night. And I think, I'm not sure if it's the next day, but within the next day or two Jenny & Jack came round to my house in Cambridge & we were talking & someone said "wouldn't it be great to get Syd playing again." It wasn't just me who said that, it was everyone. So Jenny said 'Oh I'll fix up a meeting with him, we'll go & see Syd & ask him if he wants to play with you & Jack.' So that's what we did. We went round to his house & I think his Mum answered the door & then Syd came to the door & Jenny said, 'This is Twink & Jack, they want to know if you want to form a band, just the three of you.' So he said 'yeh, alright, come in'. And that was that. We started rehearsing down in the basement of his house, that's how it started. I think I'm right.

Ivor Trueman: Did you do much rehearsal?

Twink: Not really, we did about two weeks & then we had this gig come up at the Corn Exchange.

Ivor Trueman: Who arranged those gigs?

Twink: A guy called Steve Brink. And I'm sure Steve's intentions were good but he was just as crazy as everybody else, y'know. If we'd had some sort of management direction then we wouldn't have done any gigs for six months or maybe a year or something, but we went straight into it. He came in & said 'I've got this gig with MC5, I'm going to put you top of the bill.' We said yes & he printed the tickets. This is very important to me actually, the tickets said "Stars - Twink's new band", and it looks as though, from that, that people think that I actually got the bands name on the ticket like that because I was more 'together' than Syd. But that's not true & I'd like it to go on record that it wasn't anything to do with me-it was the promoter trying to be over helpful to me & I'd never seen the tickets before they came out or anything.

Ivor Trueman: I think the gigs attracted more attention than they should've done, as Syd hadn't been in the limelight for quite some time.

Twink: Yeh.

Ivor Trueman: But you did some gigs in Cambridge apart from the Corn Exchange.

Twink: Yeh well some of the gigs were great, some of them were really good but the Corn Exchange gigs were awful. The one that I remember best of all was the one that I enjoyed-the one in the Market Square in Cambridge, in the open air that was great. And we did as few in the Dandelion Coffee Bar, I think we did two there & they were also good.

Ivor Trueman: That was all around the same time.

Twink: Yes, all around the same time, 'cos the band didn't stay together very long. Straight after that gig the bad press that we got, I think it was Roy Hollingworth-Melody Maker, he did a piece & he killed the band in fact, with that review. 'Cos Syd came round with it in his hand the next day, he saw it & says 'I don't want to play anymore'. So that was it. I mean I expected that, I thought that that was a possibility that something like that might happen, but it was a shame that it did.

Ivor Trueman: What about the recording of the earlier gigs?

Twink: Well I don't know where the tapes are.

Ivor Trueman: Which gigs were recorded?

Twink: I think all of them were.

Ivor Trueman: And the rehearsals?

Twink: Syd recorded the rehearsals.

Ivor Trueman: On a portable cassette?

Twink: As far as I remember, yes, just on a cassette. And the other one's were recorded on a really professional set up by a guy from America that was based in Cambridge. He was related in someway to Leonard Bernstein & his name's Victor but I can't remember anything else.

Ivor Trueman: Did you realise that the Eddie Guitar Burns gig was also recorded - a guy in Cambridge has a professional quality tape.

Twink: No, I did have once one of the Stars gigs, between me & Jolly, who was a friend I was working with at the time. He used to make badges. He had a tape but I don't know what happened to it. The tapes were good-they were all Syd's songs, Floyd material. I don't think we had any new stuff, but I can't remember.

Ivor Trueman: So Syd wasn't still writing anything at the time?

Twink: I can't remember. I know he was painting at the time, he was a beautiful artist, he did oil paintings, fantastic abstract paintings. I guess most of those are still at his house, Jenny's got one of them.

Ivor Trueman: Are you still in touch with Jenny?

Twink: No. I don't know if Jack is. They were married but I think they're divorced or separated now.

Ivor Trueman: Have you seen Syd recently?

Twink: No. Well yeh-I bumped into him a few years ago in Harrods. I was going down the escalator & he was going up. But I haven't seen him for a while.

Ivor Trueman: One of the guys writing a book on the Floyd has been to see him recently - Mike Watkinson. [Note, this is my mistake, Mike hasn't been to see Syd yet.]

Twink: Yeh, he's been in touch with me but we haven't got together yet.

Ivor Trueman: How long were the sets that STARS performed? The gig list for the Corn Exchange gig was supposed to have been: Octopus, Dark Globe, Gigolo Aunt, Baby Lemonade, Waving My Arms In The Air, Lucifer Sam and a couple of 12- bar blues

Twink: I can't remember exactly, how long the sets were but I think it was about 40-45 minutes. It's quite amazing actually, when you think about it, that he was keen at the time to do this and y'know he was really 'there'. He's a great guitarist & a great musician.

Ivor Trueman: Did Fred Frith ever play in the Stars line-up? We got a letter from him in New York saying that he played once on stage with Syd.

Twink: He didn't play in Stars but I don't know whether he did play with Syd, it might have even been the Eddie Guitar Burns gig.

Ivor Trueman: Was there somebody else there then?

Twink: I honestly can't remember. It could well have been that though.

Ivor Trueman: There's a rumour that Stars also did See Emily Play in rehearsal.

Twink: Yeh, I think that's right, but I'm not sure.

Ivor Trueman: What happened to the proposed gig at Essex University?

Twink: We tried to do that without Syd, because Syd had said that he didn't want to play anymore-but we had that booked so we all went down there with the intention of playing, I'd brought another couple of musicians in to cover for Syd. But in fact the promoter didn't want us to play 'cos Syd wasn't there-so it was a bit of a disaster.

Ivor Trueman: Were you still going to play Syd's material?

Twink: No. It was going to be other stuff. But it was the wrong thing to do we should've pulled out. But we decided to go down there and it didn't work out.

Extract from (Twink (John Alder ) /Bevis Frond (Nick Saloman) Interview – May, 1989

Bevis: What was next musical thing you did after that?

Twink: I moved to Cambridge when I came back, and I worked initially with the Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band. The lead vocalist was a guy from San Francisco called Bruce Payne, who was the lead singer in the original American version of Hair. We just put this kind of rock band together, had lots of fun.

The Honk was playing bass with us (from Junior's Eyes) and we did a few shows, then I was playing with some other guys - we called the name of the band ZZZ; it was Alan Lee Shaw and Rod Latter who eventually became the Rings, at a later stage like about 6 years down the road, but anyway we had this little thing going in Cambridge called ZZZ. We did a few shows and then that's when Syd Barrett appears on the scene.

Bevis: Did you know Syd?

Twink: I Knew Syd from the Floyd and from Tomorrow days, because we used to do a lot of shows together in Europe and in the UK.

Bevis: So it wasn't a big surprise that you should get together – if Syd was planning to come out of the shadows again, it's not a kind of unlikely combination?

Twink: Not really because we were acquaintances - I wouldn't say we were mates, but we knew each other. One evening I was playing with the Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band, backing a guitarist called Eddie Guitar Burns - an American Blues guitarist. Jack Monk was playing bass with the Put Together Boogie Band at that time. Jack's wife Jenny used to be a girlfriend of mine and was also a former girlfriend of Syd's, so she knew us all. She invited Syd down that evening to the session, I think it was in the basement of Kings College or one of the Colleges anyway and Syd came down and brought his guitar along and jammed with us.

Bevis: That must have been nice!

Twink: It was great, it was wonderful just to see Syd there, after all the stuff that had been written about him. I had seen Syd perform on stage and actually do nothing, but I'd also seen Yoko Ono do some of her stuff on stage and for me what Syd did was absolutely pure art. I loved it when the Floyd were standing there and Syd was at the front of the stage with his guitar strapped around his neck just looking at the audience for an hour, I thought that was wonderful.

It was a day or two later that Jenny suggested that we go and see Syd, myself and Jack, and we should suggest to Syd that we form a band together. We all thought it was a great idea - I was particularly excited because Syd seemed to be coming out of something, and I always like to help some way if I can. So this sounded like a good idea and off we went to Syd's, three of us, Jenny, Jack and myself went round to Syd's house and knocked on his door. I think his mum came to the door and she said, "Syd there's someone at the door for you."

He came to the door and Jenny said, you know Twink and Jack, they want to form a band with you. Syd invited us in and asked if we'd like a cup of tea, and we had a cup of tea and some cakes and stuff and talked about putting a band together.

We started rehearsing in Syd's basement in his house the next day, took all my drums round there and just started jamming. Eventually we needed a bigger rehearsal place so we started rehearsing in my room in Cambridge - I was living at the back of a shop, it was big enough for rehearsals and we were knocking some of Syd's songs into shape.

Bevis: What kind of material were you doing?

Twink: We were doing all of Syd's stuff, old material like "Lucifer Sam".

Bevis: He hadn't written a batch of new songs or something?

Twink: Not that I'm aware of, although he was working on new stuff and painting a lot as well - he was a great artist you know, oil painting. He was standing there one day, I think it was the first day that we went down to his studio, and he had all these oil paintings that he'd done. There was this one big one and I was looking at it thinking how beautiful it was, and Jenny said "I think that's lovely, Syd" and he said "that's for you Jenny", he just gave it to her. All the time that I was working with him, it was a pleasure, it really was.

Nick: So you actually got The Stars, as they were called, together?

Twink: How the name came about was we'd all had the same idea, we'd all thought of the same name without discussing it at the same point in time. Jack Monk wanted to call it Jack Monk's Stars, I wanted to call it Twink's Stars and Syd wanted to call it Syd Barrett Stars, so we all agreed on Stars.

Bevis: It's easier than being called Twink, Syd and Jack Stars! So anyway, you actually did some gigs?

Twink: Yes, we did about half a dozen gigs. I think it was a pretty tight set but some of the gigs were kind of loose because we didn't have road managers, we just had people helping out and stuff. We played all around the Cambridge area, didn't go out of Cambridge, just places like coffee bars - and we played the Market Square on May Day with a huge audience, that was the most memorable gig. It was a good gig, it was really brilliant.

Bevis: A lot of fruit stall holders had a good time?!?

Twink: I think it was cleared that day for the May Day celebrations, but God there was such a crowd - it was unbelievable. Bevis: I've read somewhere that these gigs were actually recorded by someone?

Twink: Yes they were, they were definitely, there's no doubt about that, we know who it was but we don't know if he still has the tapes.

Bevis: I read it was something to do with Leonard Bernstein?

Twink: Yes, Leonard Bernstein's cousin Victor, he used to come around to the gigs, with a really professional machine recording all the shows - but I lost touch with him. He introduced me to Leonard Bernstein and all this other stuff, so I know the connection is real.

Bevis: The tapes must be somewhere around, one would think, unless he kind of wiped them out and put the Archers over it? I've never seen bootleg versions of them, so they obviously haven't materialised, because they'd be prime bootleg stuff?

Twink: They've never appeared, so obviously if they still exist they're untouched.

Bevis: Have you ever seen Syd again?

Twink: I've seen him, you know just bumping into him. I would like to just drop by and see him when I'm up in Cambridge. It would be nice to put The Stars together again. I've got Jack's number. Jack Monk is still around, but I don't know what he's doing now.

Bevis: So it all came to a rather abrupt end?

Twink: Yes, one of the shows we did at Cambridge Corn Exchange was very, very poor, everything went wrong for us that night, and there was somebody there from one of the music papers reviewing the show and they put a really bad review in, I think the NME or something. Syd saw the review, came round to my house the next day and said he didn't want to play any more - and that was it.



Blogger Felix Atagong said...

Of course there is still the author of this blog who claims he has a tape of Stars.

February 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for gathering all the info. I'd wondered if any lost tapes might have turned up in Syd's house after his death, seems not!

February 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Vega said...

this is brilliant. Excellent research.

August 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said... this might be interesting

September 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would absolutely LOVE it if some Stars recordings turn up...

April 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home